Home » Moving Tips »
Thinking of Moving? Find Out the Best Time to Move
The best time for moving is a decision that depends on the available budget, preferences, and needs. For people who want to save money during a move, the best period is anytime between the winter, early spring, or late fall.
People with kids should consider contacting a moving company in Fort Collins for a summertime move. But those who prefer moving in mild weather conditions can choose spring or fall. Nonetheless, anyone considering a move needs to understand the pros and cons of moving during each season.
Here is a look at each below.
Moving in Each Season: Advantages and Disadvantages
Fall or Autumn (mid-September to November)
Advantages of A Fall or Autumn Move:
- Good Weather: Moving in the autumn is a great experience. This is because the weather during September to November is cooler and more pleasant than in the summer months.
- Low Traffic: During this period, people return to normal lives because traffic is down for moving and vacation. As a result, the road conditions are favorable for movers in Fort Collins.
- Better Deal: The home-selling season comes to an end late in the summer. And the housing market slows down from early October through the months in winter. Hence, there are likely to be better deals for a home during the autumn season than in summer.
Disadvantages of A Fall or Autumn Move
- Beginning of School Year: The school year begins in the fall. So, engaging in moving services in Fort Collins during this period is quite a challenge, especially for those with school-age children.
Winter (December to February)
Advantage of A Winter Move:
- Favorable Real Estate Deals: The real estate market does not boom during the winter. This shows that only a few people are purchasing homes and thereby crashing down the prices of houses. Thus, anyone who wishes to buy a new home for a move can get one at a much lower price.
- Experienced Crews: Most movers in Fort Collins will retain only their best employees during the winter. Hence moving crews during this period are experienced enough to prevent damage or delay of your items.
- Better Pricing: The moving industry off-season is during the late fall and winter. Since fewer people move during this period, the pricing of every moving company in Fort Collins goes down by 20-30%
Disadvantages of A Winter Move:
- Snow and Ice: Ice-smooth roads can pose a real threat to one’s winter relocation and delay the move. In addition, harsh or poor weather conditions can make moving unpleasant.
- School: Schools are usually in session during the winter. And those who have school-age children will probably have them in school. Moving during this time of the year may be difficult for their kids, as they would require more time to adapt, especially in their new home and school.
- Shorter days: Nights are more extended than days during the winter. So, less natural light will be available for moving, and movers in Fort Collins may need to work at night.
Spring (March to Middle of May)
Advantage of A Spring Move:
- Better Weather: Spring has less harsh weather conditions when compared to summer and winter. So, anyone looking to move won’t be subjected to the negatives associated with extreme cold or heat.
- Good Moving Deals: Most people move during summertime. The moving traffic is not as high in spring as it’s during the summer. The more people move, the better-booked moving businesses are, and then the prices go higher. In spring, the availability of moving services in Fort Collins is higher, and prices are lower.
Disadvantages of A Spring Move:
- Rainfall: Making adequate preparations for rain is essential during spring because it’s a period known for unpredictable rain. Anyone thinking of moving needs to ensure they don’t leave their furniture and boxes outside.
- Pollen: Pollen is rampant during spring. So, those planning on moving need to cover your furniture to prevent bringing them into their new house.
Summer (Mid May to Mid-September)
Advantages of Summer Move:
- Warm Weather: People want to be out in the summer. Besides, the challenges associated with poor road conditions during winter will have long since disappeared.
- School is on vacation: Summer is the best time for those with school-age children or still in college to move. This will ensure the moving company in Fort Collins can help them move without disrupting school for the kids.
- Longer days: There are five additional daylight hours of daylight during the summer than the winter period. This gives an edge on moving in the summertime. More sunlight means more work will be done in the day, and the chances of moving in the dark are lower.
Disadvantages of a Summer Move:
- The Busiest Period of The Year: The cost of making a move during the summer is high because moving services in Fort Collins charge about 20-30% more. This high charge is because more people move during the summer than in any other season.
- Hot weather conditions: The weather during the summertime can be hot. This makes a moving experience less pleasant.
- Movers cancel. There’s a high demand for movers in Fort Collins during the summer. Consequently, moving companies sometimes have to cancel.
- Low-quality movers: Most moving businesses hire seasonal movers during the summer. This means that your chances of hiring inexperienced movers are high. Hence a high possibility of your items getting damaged during the move.
The Best Time of The Month to Move in Fort Collins
Mid-month dates are the best period to move because most leases are due at the month-end. So, people will be looking for apartments and trying to move within the last few days.
Therefore, a moving company in Fort Collins gets less demand in the middle of the month. And since business is slow, moving companies are usually cheaper and better flexible in their mid-month planning.
Research shows that moving in the middle of the week or month will help you save money irrespective of the season. The demand during midweek or mid-month is usually lower than on weekends at each month’s beginning and end.
This is because leases generally begin on the first weekend and expire on the last weekend of the month. Since more people choose to move on these weekends, it is better to move within weekdays or weekends during mid-month.